Step-dancing to the Radio!
Traditional Celtic Music "on the air"
"real" and virtual S.F. Bay Areas
Updated October 25, 2008
||The Thistle and
Shamrock This National Public Radio show is produced and
moderated by Fiona Ritchie in Edinburgh, Scotland. Add my name to the long list
of men hopelessly in love with Fiona's Scottish accent. This program features a
wide variety of Celtic music from around the world, both traditional and more
experimental with good interviews with the musicians and background information
about Celtic history, music, and the songs. An excellent way to get exposed to
Local Radio Shows & Broadcasts of National Shows:
- 8-10 p.m. Eclectic Cafe
with Cloud Moss - a gourmet mix of Celtic, world and acoustic music.
- 8-9 a.m. NPR's
Shamrock with Fiona Ritchie
- Noon-1 p.m. (Alternate Saturdays,)
The Driven Bow hosted by Heidi Chesney
The show features traditional and contemporary celtic fiddle music from
Scotland, Ireland, Cape Breton, Shetland and local American musicians. For more
information, contact Heidi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 1-5 p.m. Our Roots Are
Showing - singer/songwriters, celtic, country, blues, bluegrass and all
- 10-11 p.m. Open Space
District with John Katchmer - New Age with a Celtic Lilt
- 11- 12 p.m. Night Traveler
with Linda Coffin
Celtic music is relatively hard to find on the radio. Your best bet is
91.7 FM. There are three shows which
have the most traditional music, all on Saturday afternoon:
- 2:00-3:00 pm. NPR's Thistle &
- 3:00-5:00 pm, Folk Music and Beyond Hosted by JoAnn
Marr and Bob Campbell. This local show features contemporary folk, traditional,
and original music from America, England, Ireland, and occasionally other parts
of the world. The website contains playlists, current schedule and lots of
- 5:00-6:00 pm A
Patchwork Quilt. Hosted by Kevin Vance. This local show has a
variety of Celtic and other music.
If you live in San Francisco, you should also check out
The High Reel hosted by Cormac Gannon on Tuesdays
at 8-9 p.m. on S.F. Liberation
- Cupertino, KKUP 91.5 FM,
- Tues 10am - 1pm
- Thursday 7-10 am hosted by Mark Cook
- Friday 3-6 pm (folk offerings)
- Santa Cruz:
- Saturday 11-1-- "Continental Drift -- Celtic
Music" hosted by Cindy Odom on KUSP 88.9 FM (476-2800).
- Monday AM - noon, hosted Michael Sammet on KZSC
- Sunday 11 am-1:00, "Eagle's Whistle"hosted by Ray
Brown on KAZU 90.3 FM
- Sunday 9-11 a.m, "Oak and Thorn" with Colleen Bassett or
Gael Brown on KZYX --
90.7-FM in Philo and KZYZ -- 91.5-FM
in Ukiah and Willits. - Locally produced show of traditional Celtic
and British Isles music -- ballads, rousing reels, and sweet airs (Studio
Request Line: 1-800-499-7177)
This is an exciting development, (All broadcast times are shown as Pacific Time.)
SCHEDULED RADIO SHOWS STREAMED ON THE INTERNET (all Pacific time):
- All the Time:
- RadioCelt is available through AccuRadio.com, a 24-hour, free multi-channel
Internet radio station. The station " offers listeners a
unique blend of traditional, progressive, instrumental, and vocal Celtic music.
Additionally, listeners can choose a more “specialized” listening experience by
tuning in to one of RadioCelt’s “subchannels:
- Celtic - The finest Irish-based music from around the world
The best male Celtic artists -- from Brian Kennedy to Paul Brady
- Celtic Rock - Celtic music with an edge--Irish rock acts like Black 47 and Seven Nations
- Celtic Women
- The gorgeous sounds of ladies like Karan Casey and Mary Black
- Progressive Celtic-
New Celtic music from diverse artists like Afrocelts and Michael Londra
- Traditional Celtic
- For trad lovers, we have everyone from Altan to Tommy Peoples."
- CAPE BRETON LIVEIUL>
- Cape Breton Live
- EEist le Ceol Gaelach agus Nuacht Gaelach ar an Lion
Raidio Na Gaeltachta (the
national Irish radio service):
- LiveIreland.com - ", webcasting from the heart of Ireland. To hear the very best of
Irish music, from Van Morrison and the Chieftains to Mary Black, The Corrs and
- You can also hear several traditional music programs (live
only) at Clare FM.
- Weekdays, Noon-2 pm
Mainstreet from CBC Radio One Halifax.
Keep up with what's happening in Atlantic Canada.
- Thursday 4pm-5pm,
The Atlantic Ceilidh on CIUT 89.5 FM broadcasting from the
campus of the University of Toronto, downtown Toronto. Currently there are no archives but CIUT streams live with iTunes and Real Player.
- 1:15 pm,
Ceili House and
Late Session on Radio One, RTE (Ireland)
- 5:00-6:00 pm Downeast
Ceilidh - Traditional and contemporary folk music of Atlantic Canada with emphasis on the fiddle music and songs of Cape Breton
- 9-11 a.m, "Oak and Thorn" with Colleen Bassett or Gael
Brown on KZYX --
90.7-FM in Philo, Calif. Locally produced show of traditional
Celtic and British Isles music -- ballads, rousing reels, and sweet airs
(Studio Request Line: 1-800-499-7177)
- 2:00-4:00 pm The Harp and the Bard on WMPG from the University of Maine. An Irish
show featuring trad. & contemporary Irish music & news of Irish events
in the Portland, Maine area, with Paul O'Neil.
- 4:00-5:00 pm "Island Echoes" from
Cape Breton Island on CBC Radio1 in Cape Breton, hosted by Wendy Bergfeldt. A mixture of tunes and conversation.
| Celtic Music Home Page |
Irish Music |
Scottish Music |
Cape Breton Music |
Scarff's homepage |
Please send me your comments or suggestions: